Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Tyrannical Facade of the Clock


See more of Amy Scholten's original art at Inner Medicine Art Gallery

The clock rules my life, even more so as I get older. Plunging toward 50, the minutes and hours seem shorter and shorter, the race more urgent. There’s less time to accomplish dreams. More time to realize how much time I’ve wasted on being nothing but a dreamer. In a repeating compulsion to actualize my dreams once again, I realize that maybe I’m better off just being a dreamer. Maybe it’s what I do best.
Contemplation. Imagination. In our time-driven world, these things aren’t seen as valuable, but a waste of time. A life is not measured by one’s inner experience or spiritual attainment but by the rhythm to which she achieves the values that her culture deems worthy under the rule of the tick tocking of a tiny tyrannical machine.  How many are praised for their ability to worship the clock effectively by accumulating money, admirers, symbols of status—a life “well lived” according to someone else, even if they’re not genuinely happy or loving? Even if, in their “productive” use of time, they’re harming creatures great and small because they haven’t taken the time to contemplate who they are and what they’re really doing?
Sometimes I want to throttle the clock, but then I realize its tyranny is a façade, a symbol, and nothing more. In my contemplation, it loses its power over me, at least for a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment